Three savory comfort meals that are vegan + easy to make, recipes below! 🙂 This video was made in collaboration with Purple Carrot, check them out at + use “sweetsimplevegan” for $30 off your first order! – OPEN FOR MORE + FREE RECIPES –
❊ – IN THIS VIDEO – ❊
⋇ Savory Oatmeal with Veggies & Sausage on our blog:
⋇ Butternut Barley Bowl w/ Pickled Peppers and Pistachios by Purple Carrot
-¾ cup barley + water
-8 oz butternut squash
-2 mini sweet peppers
-1 (5g) packet turbinado sugar (about 1 tablespoon)
-2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
-1 garlic clove
-1 tablespoons parsley
-1 sprig rosemary
-¼ cup pistachios
-2 oz baby arugula
-Salt and pepper
1. Place the barley in a small saucepan and cover with 2 inches of water. Bring to a boil, season with salt, and cook until tender; about 22 to 25 minutes.
2. Place the butternut squash onto a lined baking sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast at 400°F until tender and browned, about 18 to 20 minutes.
3. Next up is a quick pickling of the peppers. Slice the mini sweet peppers into very thin strips about ¼-inch thick. Add peppers to a small saucepan with the turbinado sugar, ¼ cup water, apple cider vinegar, pink peppercorns, and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low. Simmer until the peppers are soft and the liquid is syrupy, about 10 to 12 minutes.
4. Add the pistachios to a skillet over medium heat and cook until toasted and fragrant, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add in the minced garlic and cook for an additional minute, adding water as needed to prevent burning. Add in the cooked barley, chopped parsley, rosemary, and scallions. Season with salt and pepper and toss to combine.
6. Stir in the baby arugula. then divide between two large bowls. Top with roasted butternut and pickled peppers.
⋇ Seitan Marsala with Smashed Potatoes and Broccoli by Purple Carrot
-8 oz red potatoes
-3 oz button mushrooms
-4 garlic cloves
-6 oz broccoli florets
-¼ cup cornstarch
-1 package Sweet Earth seitan
-¼ cup marsala wine
-1/2-1 not chick’n bouillon cube
-1 tbsp vegan butter
-2 tbsp olive oil
-Salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Halve the red potatoes and add to a small saucepan. Cover with 1 inch water and bring to a boil. Cook potatoes until fork tender, about 12 to 16 minutes.
2. In the meantime, place the broccoli florets onto a baking sheet, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast until stalks are tender and florets are slightly browned, about 6 to 8 minutes.
3. Place a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat with 1 tbsp olive oil. Add the cornstarch to a plate, and toss each piece of Sweet Earth seitan to coat; shaking off any excess. In a single layer, add the seitan to the skillet and cook until browned and crisp, about 3 to 5 minutes. Flip and continue to cook until second side is crisp, about 3 minutes more, adding 1 tablespoon oil if needed. Transfer to a plate.
4. Wipe skillet clean and return to medium heat with 2 tablespoons of water. Add the sliced mushrooms and cook until they begin to brown, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add shallot and garlic, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add marsala wine and allow it to reduce for 1 minute. Add 1 cup water, bouillon cube, and reduce heat to low. Cook marsala sauce until thickened, about 5 to 7 minutes.
5. Once the potatoes are tender, drain, and place them in another bowl. Smash with a fork until smooth, adding in the vegan butter plus salt and pepper to taste.
6. Return the crispy seitan to the pan with the marsala sauce and bring to a simmer. Taste sauce and season with salt and pepper. To serve, divide the smashed potatoes and roasted broccoli between large plates. Top with seitan marsala and dig in!
⋇ Our FREE vegan recipe ebook:
⋇ How To Start a Blog:
❊ – CONNECT WITH US – ❊
⋇ recipe blog:
⋇ instagram: Jasmine Chris
⋇ shop: (Discount: sweetsimplevegan)
❊ – ABOUT OUR VIDEO – ❊
-Recipe Videos & Photography:
⋇ Edited on: Final Cut Pro
⋇ Video edited by Ray Dippilitto
⋇ Our copper pans:
This video is sponsored by Purple Carrot, but all opinions remain our own. This video may contain affiliate links, thank you for supporting Sweet Simple Vegan!