Dutch Oven Peach Pie with Sourdough Pie Crust
So what’s better than homemade pie? Well how about a peach pie with a little kick and what if we make it in a Dutch oven? If y’all haven’t had a homemade Dutch oven pie then you’re missing out- but not for long. We’re sharing our peach pie recipe with a sourdough pie crust that is hearty and flaky and we’ll show you some easy tricks so you can bake it directly in a Dutch oven!
Enjoy the video and leave questions or comments below.
For our previous sourdough video:
Sourdough Pie Crust
2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional )
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup lard or shortening
3⁄4 to 1 cup Sourdough Starter (recipe here:
1. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon (if using), and salt.
2. Cut the lard into the flour mixture with a fork or pastry cutter until it becomes crumbly, like cracker crumbs.
3. Slowly stir in the starter, starting with ¾ cu, until it forms a soft dough. To ensure a flaky crust, add just enough starter to bring the dough together. On a lightly floured surface, lightly knead any stickiness out of the dough. Divide the dough into 2 pieces.
4. Roll the dough out fit in a pie pan or Dutch oven.
4 -5 large peaches
½ stick butter
¾ cup packed light brown sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ cup of Wild Turkey American Honey Whiskey, or to taste
1. Boil the peaches for 10 minutes. Remove peaches and place in an ice bath for an additional 10 minutes. Peel and slice.
2. In a cast iron skillet, melt the butter. Stir in peaches
3. Stir in the brown sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon.
4. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until the mixture begins to thickens, about 4 minutes.
5. Stir in the whiskey and continue cooking to re-thicken, if needed.
Check out our BEST SELLING cookbook, A Taste of Cowboy. Available at bookstores nationwide, Amazon
Get our FREE guide to smoothing cast iron HERE:
Want more recipes and tips? Sign up for our emails:
Click below to SUBSCRIBE for more videos:
Connect with us!
Chuck Wagon Cook, Grilling, Dutch Oven Cooking, Cowboy, Cast Iron